Support Group Descriptions
Fearrington Cares sponsors support groups that provide a safe place to explore the challenges, feelings and rewards that come with dealing with chronic health conditions, caregiving, grief and other issues. These groups are not counseling or therapy sessions; but offer peer companionship, information, resources and the support of others on similar journeys. New members are welcome at any time to any of these groups.
Current groups include the following:
- Brain Injury-“Brainiacs.” This group is open to anyone who has had a traumatic brain injury, stroke, or similar condition. Meets weekly on Thursdays, 10 a.m. at the Fearrington Cares Center.
- Dementia Caregivers. This group addresses the challenges of coping with the care of a loved one who has significant dementia, Alzheimer’s, or other form of memory impairment. Meets twice a month on the first and third Wednesdays, 12:30 p.m.–2:00 p.m. at the Fearrington Cares Center
- Living with Chronic Conditions. This group is open to residents living with a chronic illness or condition. Meets once a month on the third Thursday from 1:00-2:30 p.m. at the Fearrington Cares Center.
- Parkinson’s Disease. This group serves both caregivers and care receivers. It offers support, education and resources for participants at all stages of this challenging condition. Meets twice a month on the first and third Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m.–11:20 p.m. at the Gathering Place
- Healthy Options Weight Loss (HOWL). Weight loss support group. Meets weekly on Thursdays at 4 p.m. at the Fearrington Cares Center. Participants pay $5 per month. No meetings May 2017 through August 2017.
- Caregivers Support Group Caregivers are described as selfless, tolerant, resilient, loyal and kind. It’s also been quipped that caregiving is a 36 hour day. Those who provide care know that is can be stressful and frustrating, can lead to depression and may put the caregiver at risk for emotional and physical illness. This group will be co-facilitated by Karen Shectman and Nancy Keadey and will meet twice a month on the first and third Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m. -4:30 p.m. at the Fearrington Cares Center. The meetings will offer participants an opportunity to share experiences, vent, find support and comfort and learn about additional resources in Fearrington and the larger community.