[Contributed by Elizabeth Krijgsman] You may not know of the Chatham Cares Community Pharmacy [CCCP] in Siler City, but it is a wonderful place to donate medical items you no longer want or need. CCCP is a non-profit community-based organization committed to reducing health disparities by providing access to quality pharmacy services to the low-income, uninsured, and underinsured residents of Chatham County.
They accept new and gently used medical equipment and supplies of all kinds, such as waterproof or disposable bed pads, adult underwear, urinals, disposable gloves, compression socks, bed risers—anything you can buy at the drugstore or medical supply store.
- They accept personal care items: soap, shampoo, body lotion, deodorant, etc.
- They accept unopened OTC [over-the-counter] medications of all kinds, and if only a tiny bit of the tube has been used, or most of the pills are still in the blister pack, they accept those too.
- And they also accept ALL CURRENT prescription medications (except opiates and other controlled substances), even if they have been opened! If you have two pills left in the bottle or the blister pack, that’s two more than they have now. Their licensed pharmacists will take your leftovers and add them to other leftovers to make up a supply for our less-fortunate neighbors right here in Chatham County.
Instead of turning these (sometimes very expensive) items into the pharmacy or the police for destruction, please consider taking them to the CCCP. They are doing wonderful work, and they will be so grateful. For questions, office hours, and location.
IMPORTANT: note that by state law, the prescription drugs must be personally delivered to the pharmacy by the person whose name is on the prescription. They cannot accept prescriptions medicines brought in by anyone on behalf of someone else.
Chatham Cares Community Pharmacy
127 E Raleigh St, Siler City, NC 27344
Phone: (919) 663-0177
You are no doubt thinking, Siler City?? What a lot of trouble! But Siler City is no farther than Southpoint or Costco, and the drive is prettier, with less traffic.
- The DMV office in Siler City is more accessible and less busy than the one in Carrboro. Combine your license renewal or application for official government REAL ID drivers license with a trip to the CCCP.
- Siler City also has a full-service post office with lot parking, very near a used book store: Paperbacks Plus, 208 E. Raleigh Street, 919-742-4033.
- Ask a friend or two to go with you, and make it a road trip. Stop for lunch in Pittsboro on your way home—or go exploring and find a place to eat in Siler City!