Computer, Audio, TV / Consultant and Repair
For Those Needing Computer Support Assistance/Help
Fearrington Cares does not currently have volunteers who can provide computer support; however, on our Vendor List we do have the following recommendations from your neighbors regarding computer support. Those vendors are listed below in alphabetical order and hot-linked to make it easy for you to access each specific vendor’s profile directly from this featured listing.
- ALR Electronics
- Audio Advice
- Brian Paren Computer Services
- Gary Whitford Computer Services
- MigForMac (Mig Hayes)
- SWEEPS College Student Movers & More (Including Computer Help)
- The Geek Squad (At Best Buy Stores & Via Home Visits)
- The On Button (Computer Consultant & Repair)
For Those Needing General Software Instruction
Those needing general software instruction are advised to seek such support from one–or from both–of the following excellent sources, which are hot-linked for direct access from this featured listing.
- The Chatham County Community Library in Pittsboro, located on the Central Carolina Community College Campus at 197 NC Hwy 87 N. For more information, visit the library’s Free Computer Classes and Drop-in Computer Support Schedules.
- The Orange County Seymour Tech Center in Chapel Hill, which offers personal computer and personal technology classes for students 50 and over.
TV & computer repair. ALR Electronics is no longer located in the former Cole Park Plaza (now North Chatham Village) in part of the space now occupied by the new and expanded Town & Country Hardware store. They now provide FREE pick-up and delivery service, as well as on-location service to homes and businesses.
In business for over past 30 years, with a team of consultants, designers, and installers for high-performance two-channel systems and dedicated home theaters to fully integrated smart homes. They deliver home technology solutions from concept to calibration.
Serving Fearrington Village for many years.
Gary operates System Services (Durham) in business for the past 18 years. Owner/Operator/Technician to service primarily residential households and small businesses PC Computer Repair, peripheral setup, software integration and networking with basic setup and networking for Apple products.
Comment by Fearrington Resident:
“Gary has fixed problems for me and offered explanations that are clear and understandable to a non-geek.”
MAC/iPhone/iPad/Instructor & Tutor
Mig started her Apple tutor and support business in 2012, after spending two-and-a-half years working as a Specialist at the Apple retail store in Durham, NC. She is also a veteran teacher and media specialist, with 30 years of classroom teaching in multimedia and video production, English, and all things Mac. See her website (use the hotlink in the contact information below) for a full description of her home-based services.
Her services include complete purchase consultation, set-up, installation, and on-going use of all Apple devices. This includes desktop and laptops Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple TV, WiFi issues, printers, and some networking. She also assists with all Apple software (Pages, Numbers, Keynote), iCloud issues, Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint for Mac and Google products (Gmail, Google Docs/Sheets/Slides), and other cloud-based services such as Dropbox. She can also help with photo management and editing and password creation, organization, and retrieval.
She sees many clients on a regular basis….some once a week, some once a month, some on an as-needed basis. Her interest is in developing relationships with people rather than racking up customers. As a former teacher, she loves helping others learn new skills and “make the most of their digital world.” Mig offers a very hands-on approach so that a client progresses in his/her understanding and use of technology.
Comments by Fearrington Village Residents:
“Mig was the only apple specialist who was able to help me in a way that I could understand.”
“Yesterday Mig Hayes helped me sort out some craziness with my 10 yr old Mac. She taught me computer etiquette and pointed out what to watch out for. She is reasonably priced, described in computerese that I understood & best of all she comprehended what was driving me nuts. Thank you, Mig.”
Delightful college student movers and more. Started at UNC, hire local students to assist with moving, odd jobs and various projects, from computer support help to furniture assembly to yard work.
While not professionals (and not the best fit for moving pianos or priceless antiques), Sweepers are smart, strong, and eager to help make moving day a success. Simple and intuitive online process from posting to payment. Reserve months in advance or for the same day.
No up-front charges, pay once the job is done. No hidden fees. Pay only for the time worked. Pay and tip in a secure, cashless transaction after the job. Get an estimate and post your job in minutes. Sweepers in your area are notified and matched to your job. Review Sweeper profiles and job details before confirming. It’s easy to edit, comment, or reschedule at any point.
How Sweeps Works
- Post Your Job Online at SWEEPS.
- The details in the form help us award the best Sweepers based on the scope and type of job. Use referral code karenm4992 and Fearrington Cares earns credit for our next job at the Center.
- Confirm Your Job via Email/Internet
- You will be asked to confirm your job once we have awarded the requested number of Sweepers.
- Review, then put a Payment “on Hold”
Once the job is completed, review your Sweepers’ timesheets and only pay once you’re satisfied.
- Sweeps has a one-hour minimum charge per Sweeper. Beyond that, the rate is charged to the nearest 15 minutes. You will have a chance to review timesheets and your invoice once the job is completed.
- Sweeps requires a credit card to post a job. We do this for safety reasons and to ensure payment. Credit card information is not stored on our servers and is managed by a secure third-party, Stripe.
- You may cancel or reschedule your job at any point. If you cancel a confirmed job within 24 hours of its’ scheduled start time, Sweeps will charge a 1 hour cancellation fee per Sweeper.
- Payment is handled securely online once a job is completed, so there is no need for cash on the job. You’ll have the chance to review timesheets before payment is processed.
- Sweeps carries General Liability and Bonding insurance.
A service of Best Buy Stores
Two Local Durham Store Locations
- New Hope Commons Dr, New Hope Commons Durham, NC 27707
- Durham Southpoint 7001 Fayetteville Rd, Durham, NC 27713 and at 5454
- Also, home visits can be scheduled by contacting the store.
- Remote Help is available by calling 800-433-5778.
Computer and Tablet Service & Repairs include Computer diagnosis & repair | Data recovery | Virus & spyware removal | Home Wi-Fi set up and installation | Device setup
Comment by Fearrington Village Resident:
“My Go-to for computer issues.”
Providing PC and Mac, Network, Smartphone, Audiovisual Services at home and at work in the Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh region of NC. They can upgrade components in your desktop computer or laptop, such as the memory or hard drive to help it work properly again and also repair computers by replacing failed components such as the hard drive or power supply and help with virus problems. They also provide high-end services for companies and offices.